Based on the success of the inaugural European Sustainable Chemicals Management Conference, preparations are now underway for next year's event. Further information will be available shortly, but in the meantime, please contact Charlene Selmer on +44 (0) 2920 783 024 or email email@example.com to find out more.
We would like to thank all speakers and delegates who took part in the European Sustainable Chemicals Management Conference 2011 - Finding the Regulatory Balance. Taking place on the 31st May - 1st June, the event presented a critique of current European legislation, exploring how it could be improved to provide a high level of public and environmental protection, without stunting the growth of the European Chemicals Industry.
Please note: ** = via video presentation
Timed to take place after the first registration deadline for phase-in substances in November 2010, the event addresed several key aspects of chemical policy. It looked in particular at REACH and CLP, providing an analysis of how the registration system has functioned to date and how it could be improved. Discussions focused on how REACH compares to global methods of chemical management and various research on a variety of areas of concern, with sessions looking at:
- REACH: Where are we now, and what are the next steps?
- Has REACH gone far enough? – Chemical cocktails and endocrine disruptors
- Substances of ‘Very High Concern’
- Innovation vs. protection – regulating nanoproducts
- Balancing innovation, regulation & competitiveness
- Classification, labelling and packaging of substances and mixtures
- The global context - how REACH compares to other chemical policies.
The conference bought together key stakeholders from the European Institutions, industry and NGOs in an interactive environment, aimed at promoting debate among all participants.