Spectrum for 5G was a one-day interactive Forum that brought together stakeholders and speakers from both the policy and industry communities in Europe and elsewhere to discuss the spectrum requirements for 5G.
The event formed part of the Global Spectrum Series, and added to what is already the World's largest and most comprehensive collection of Spectrum Management policy conferences.
Vice President for Government Affairs Europe, Middle East and North Africa
Group Public Policy Head of Spectrum, Vodafone; & Vice Chair of FREQ WG, GSMA
Vodafone / GSMA
Head of Sector, 5G, DG CNECT, Future Connectivity Systems (Unit E.1)
The European Commission action plan on 5G and the RSPG opinion on spectrum related aspects for next-generation wireless systems (5G) were released prior to Spectrum for 5G, meaning we entered a crucial period as stakeholders in the region looked to ensure Europe is at the forefront of the development of the 5G vision.
This one day interactive forum looked at the drivers behind the spectrum requirements for 5G and at the different frequency ranges that will be required to meet the requirements of various 5G technologies. It discussed licensing aspects and potential technology enhancements to enable access to new spectrum, and more generally looked at what needs to be done in Europe to ensure a spectrum strategy that pushes the region to the forefront of developments in this key area.
Key topics that were discussed included:
- The role of policymakers and industry in pushing Europe to the forefront of 5G developments.
- Is 5G an evolution or a revolution, and how does this effect the spectrum that is required and how is it made available?
- How much bandwidth do the proposed 5G services actually need?
- Meeting the challenge of finding the additional capacity for 5G that is required below 6GHz.
- Candidates for millimeter 5G bands in Europe and globally.
- Spectrum Management beyond 5G.
To find out how you can become involved in this our other events, through speaking, partnership and sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jordan Francombe on spectrum5G@forum-europe.com or call +44 (0) 2920 783 027